Here is a little list with links that I’ll update regularly. When I don’t name the island, I am talking about Tahiti.
- MAHANA PAE : every Friday, entertainment in the streets of Papeete
- TERE FA’ATI : in January. A musical island tour of Tahiti by truck, organised by Tahiti Tourism. You can make your reservation with them http://www.tahiti-tourisme.pf/tere-faati. A little local music group in each truck, cultural stops, dances, traditional polynesian dish, excellent atmosphere: go for it!
- FIFO : end of January beginning February, one week of Oceanian short films. Exceptional, in my opinion. Buy your tickets for the day, they are not very expensive, and you can watch the documentaries you are interested in. There are several shows http://www.fifo-tahiti.com/
- TAAPUNA MASTER : Famous surf competition that take place in à Punaauia in may. Information : www.tahiti-tourisme.pf
- HEIVA : In July, competitions in tradtionnal dancing, singing, percussions, sports like javelin throwing, fruit carrier races, outrigger races…are taking place. One advice: make a reservation for the dancing competitions in advance before you come. You can contact your hotel. For those who arrive after the festivities, the hotel InterContinental of Tahiti organises buffets with shows of the competition winners on the motu. When the show at the InterContinental are over, the Meridien hotel starts his. There is also the craftsmen village where you can admire Polynesian creations. They are incredible artists and I recommend everything
- TAHITI BILLANBONG PRO : In August at TEAHUPO’O. For surfer but others too, waves are incredible. Go on the Billabong website for more information http://www.billabong.com/. There are several very nice family pensions on the peninsula. I personally know Vanira Lodge that proposes fantastic “nature bungalows” www.vaniralodge.com
- MARATHON : Tahiti Moorea Marathon, in February.
- Raid Painapo : september, mountain race in Moorea.Unfortunately, websites are not up to date, so it is better so send an e-mail email@example.com
- HAWAIKI NUI : 3 days race beginning of November. The most important outrigger race in Polynesia. It receives hundreds of outriggers, in generally also foreign participants, and thousands of supporters. The race takes place between Huahine, Raiatea, Tahaa and Bora Bora. The arrival is on Bora. There is an exceptional atmosphere and I advise to make a hotel reservation well in advance